Metal Roof Benefits and Disadvantages
Metal is one of the most popular materials used by roofers today. Metal roofs have an exceptional durability and longevity, which means that while you may spend more upfront on a metal roof, in the long run you will save money than on an asphalt shingles roof, because of its low maintenance and extended lifetime that last three or more times longer than a typical asphalt shingles roof which usually needs to be replaced every 10-15 years. Metal Roofs are made in different styles, colors and designs: Galvalume, Aluminum and Copper are the most common between of a wide variety of metals used for metal roofing.
Let’s analyze the most common metal roofing materials and its characteristics used by roofers in Miami.
- Galvalume Metal Roof: It is the least expensive of these three materials providing great performance. Basically it is an alloy that uses a composition of 45% Zinc and 55% aluminum. Each metalhas its own characteristics, the aluminum provides the corrosion protection and the zinc provides great durability.
- Aluminum Metal Roof: Aluminum metal roofs are recommended for use in coastal areas where corrosion is a major concern. This is mainly due to its resistance to salt corrosion compared to the rest of metal roofs. Aluminum is more costly and this could be a downside for some homeowners. The price for Aluminum Metal Roofs lies somewhere in the middle between steel and copper.
- Copper Metal Roof: Copper Metal Roofs look stunning once installed, and they are one of the most aesthetically-pleasing choices for a roof.It is an extremely long-lasting metal that can last over 100 years. They are 100% recyclable, making them great environmental friendly solution. The down side is they are extremely expensive and, depending on your needs, may be more than you really need.
Having a metal roof has many benefits–let’s see some of them.
New Metal Roof Advantages:
- Durability and Reliability: Most metal roofs have excellent warranty that exceeds 40 years of coverage. They are extremely resistant to wind lift holding up to 130 mph, great impact resistance and fire resistance.
- Energy efficiency and Eco Friendly: It can save your home up to 40% in energy costs because its reflectivity and also because heat is not slowly emitted into the air overnight. Coatings systems allow for cool roof colors that reflect solar heat and keep a home more comfortable during hotter months. Metal roofing can typically be recycled once removed.
- Maintenance: Unlike other roofing materials, which can break and discolor and require often costly maintenance, most metal roof doesn’t need regular maintenance, just some cleaning using water.
- Lightweight: Metal roofing products are lighter in weight than other roofing materials, like Roof Tile and Slates, putting less stress on your roof structure.
Metal Roofs also have some disadvantages, but nothing serious compared with benefits.
New Metal Roof Disadvantages:
- Cost: The up-front cost of metal roofing is generally more expensive compared to other roofing systems.
- Oil Canning: Flat metal panels are susceptible to Oil Canning. Oil Canning is a phenomenon that causes waviness and is an inherent characteristic of cold-rolled flat metal panels. It makes metal panels look wavy with certain light incidence on flat areas. Oil canning is not considered a metal defect or error, and won’t affect roof performance; it is just a visual effect. There are many ways to mitigate oil canning but we are going to discuss that in another article.
- Installation Time: Depending on roof complexity, it will require more time for proper installation.
Metal roofs are a great choice; they are a little bit costly but have excellent benefits that only come with a metal roof. Its low maintenance, exceptional durability and attractiveness are some of the no-brainer thoughts to consider when choosing a new metal roof. We at Stone House Roofing will guide you to make the best choice when selecting the right material. Call us at 305.239.8838 and one of our specialists will visit your property to make sure your roof structure meets the requirements to install a new metal roof. Stone House Roofing is a Miami Roofing Company serving the area of Cutler Bay, Goulds, Silver Palm, Princeton, Redland, Naranja, Leisure City, Homestead, Florida City and Florida Keys.